New Beer, Coffee Beer, & Returning Beer, Oh My!
The life of a small brewer is often busy and pulled in many directions at once. For this reason I have been slow to write an update on brewery happenings at Wolf's Ridge. Rest assured, we've been diligently working behind the scenes to keep things exciting for our fans!
If you've yet to try our fall seasonals, Oktoberfest and Cone & Bine Wet Hopped Pale Ale, get down to our taproom soon, because we're almost out of both already! The most exciting beer to be released recently though is the return of Pi Imperial Pumpkin Ale.
The story of Pi is the story of Wolf's Ridge in many ways. The beer begins as many of our food dishes do - with local ingredients. All season we waited for our friends at Jacquemin Farms to alert us that their pie pumpkins were ready for harvest. Due to weather conditions this summer, the pumpkin harvest was pushed back later than desired. For that reason we didn't even brew Pi until mid-September - while many breweries had been putting pumpkin beers on shelves since August.
Over 200lbs of pumpkin was harvested and rushed to our kitchen where the chefs roasted and smoked the pumpkin. We then add the pumpkin to the mash. Pi is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger root, and ancho chilis along with a healthy helping of brown sugar on brew day. Later in the process, we add vanilla bean and hickory wood.
Pi was tapped a couple of weeks ago and won't last long. We're extremely happy with the finished product this year and hope you enjoy this seasonal favorite too! I'm proud to say that this beer is a product of the local farming community, and a collaboration between the Wolf's Ridge kitchen and brewery. A lot of thought and love was put into this beer, and I firmly believe it shows through in the glass.
Read more about Pi in this Columbus Dispatch article.
One Line Coffee Event: November 15, 2015
We're once again hosting a beer and coffee pairing event at Wolf's Ridge. Last week I met with Dave Forman from One Line Coffee to select the particular coffee varieties for this event. It was an especially fun tasting for me because this time we not only wanted to select unique coffees, but coffees that would specifically pair with a particular beer. For this event expect to taste 5 different coffee infused beers next to the coffee itself, brewed tableside. Ticket also includes a snack from our kitchen and a logoed glass mug to take home.
Tickets are pre-sale only, find them here.
**Please note that the event sold out very fast last year.
I'd like to close with a short mention of the new and returning beers to close out 2015:
- Hefeweizen - this favorite German wheat is returning for the winter, available mid-November
- Sustinator Doppelbock - our gold medal winning lager returns late November
- Dire Wolf - we ran out shortly after the Coco Joy release but there'll be fresh Imperial Stout soon enough. Look for another release (versions TBD) before the end of the year if all goes well, and a barrel-aged Dire Wolf release soon after that!
- Braggot - we brewed this beer in collaboration with Brother's Drake Meadery and Early Interval Music. Our braggot will be an Imperial Honey Ale infused with orange and chamomile, then blended with mead. Available early December.
- Rosy Cheeks - our winter warmer returns late November. For those unfamiliar we brew this strong brown ale with dark Belgian candi sugar, orange peel, and cranberry to warm your cheeks over the cold winter months.
As always there'll be a few fun new infusions showing up in the taproom from time to time. Look for for exciting news about the Wolf's Ridge Brewery in December!!!